Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Respect! Appreciation! Acknowledgement...

So even for the short week that I've been in LA, I've seen just how much work it takes to make it in this industry. Sure there are lots of people who get discovered "walking down the street" or "working at a coffee shop" but when I say make it I mean those true artists who are putting their heart and soul into what they do. I'm talking about producers who are playing 3 and 4 instruments in the studio, actors who've booked work who still go to acting classes to make sure their on top of their game, dancers who are constantly staying one head above the competition, etc...Because I hope to one day be hailed and respected for the artist that I am...I have decided to devote the next week to highlighting the accomplishments and good work of some people I find incredible (now keep in mind these are people I FIND incredible you dont have to agree). So I am going to start with one of my favorite singers right now:

Solange Knowles!



I think perhaps what I like most about her is her fearlessness. She is never afraid to try out whatever she is feeling at the time. Her music has changed almost every time she comes out with an album...and while people may buy her music just to compare it to the music of Beyonce...I think she always commits to what she likes and thats what makes it so incredible. She combines real old school funk with like Spanish drums and throws it over some hip hop banging bass...she's just ridic...I've always felt like Solange is old school Chaka Khan, P Funk and Lenny Kravitz's love child with a pinch of that sultry sound that the Knowles' seem to have been born with. And dont even get me started on when she goes straight non-commercial "i do what i want and dont give a f***" on songs like 'Champagne Chronic Nightcap' or how about when she gets really real on 'Tony'. I really want to focus only on these peoples' talent but I mean it goes without saying: the haircut=fearless! Love her music. Love her courage. Love the fact that she is wonderfully herself. And she's avid twitterer like myself :) Check out one of my favs by her: 'Sandcastle Disco' and her ode to the industry entitled 'F*** the Industry' off her mixtape...enjoy :)



Its just day 1 tomorrow I think Im switching gears to an Actor...who will it be? Hmmmm...


Signing off,

@bestnewactress

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home