Thursday, July 1, 2010

Fearless



I am ALWAYS looking for new artists to draw inspiration from and to pass along to others. Right now I am super excited about a few artists finally getting the attention they deserve. The first is Janelle Monae. OMG! Ha. She is incredible to say the least. Not only do all her albums tell stories but she is so uniquely her. Wearing only a black and white tuxedo as costume she still manages to embody complete femininity while performing with the intensity of male artists who lived long before her time i.e. Jackie Wilson and James Brown. J'ADORE Janelle Monae. She is captain of the cool kids to me without a doubt. Check her steelo.



And then these guys with her...Lupe Fiasco ( who I am determined to one day propose to with a wooden Jesus piece and a spoken word poem) and B.O.B are making up this whole era of hip hop artists that give me SO MUCH LIFE!


And then the MC that I am completely rooting for is J Cole. Ever since I was introduced to him through his video for Simba I have been completely adamant in my judgement that he is the best young cat coming into rap at the time. He is beyond talented and his lyrical prowess is just sickening. Ugh. After playing "The Warmup" ,his mixtape, out, I was elated to hear him on "Star is Born" with Jay and I still think that he didn't really get the credit he deserved for MURDERING that verse. Credit given. Heard he had a new single...admittedly, I was worried that his ability to rap with the best of them would be watered down for "crossover" appeal...but I was illin. "Who Dat?" is a perfect blend of enough catchy-ness to have you sing along while unleashing the lyrical beast that is J Cole. Definitely a fan. Definitely waiting for that album.
Check his steez.

definitely one of my favs by him.

Who Dat? Who Dat? loves it. Cole(d) world :)

And as far as other bloggers go: I'm rocking with my sissie poo over at writersrehab.wordpress.com/ and of course...waiting for the launch of my magazine at www.edgemagazinesite.com on August 1st.

So these are the cool things I'm getting down with this summer. They're wonderful. Smile today. Be encouraged, inspired and inspirational. If you've been feeling derailed lately...pick yourself up and tip on the tightrope ;)

Sincerely,
@bestnewactress


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home