Monday, May 10, 2010

Lena...Legend 1917-2010




Yesterday, Hollywood lost one of it's most elegant, shining stars in Lena Horne. She was 92 years old. Many people my age may not know who Lena Horne is or what she means to us...especially Black women. I was blessed to have a father who once sat me down and explained to me how Lena Horne was the love of his life....ha. But really, as my father plopped me down in front of the television to watch "Stormy Weather", he explained to me why Lena Horne was so important to me as an African American woman and even more as a African American performer. He explained that her refusal to be cast as a maid and commitment to always portraying characters that praised and uplifted Black women....was an imperative stepping stone to my future. I learned everything I could about her...envied her long legs and voice like an angel...but most of all ADMIRED her resilience, strength and class in the face of racial tensions. She broke so many barriers it seems crazy to think that we are still experiencing the "first's" of many accolades for women of color in TV, film, on-stage and beyond. Lena Horne cannot be replaced but her legacy can and will live on through us...the new generation of women of color who too embody class and grace. Seeing a legend like Lena pass away...always reminds me of who should TRULY be a role model. A woman who stands for something. A woman who is not afraid to stand in integrity and virtuosity. A woman who knows that she stands a model for more than just herself...sadly, in most cases...she stands as a example of the whole race. A woman who is not afraid to say "no" when her ideals are tested. And most of all, a woman who leaves behind footsteps worth walking in.

R.I.P Lena and Thank You.

Sincerely,
@bestnewactress

DIVA!! Love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home