Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Black(?) Hollywood



Although I strongly, strongly detest the idea of "Black Hollywood"...I feel like because this blog is focusing on the achievements (open for debate) of Blacks IN Hollywood I didnt want to mislead any of my readers of other races. Why? You may ask, dont I like the term "Black Hollywood" well because I think it establishes a hill that almost seems insurmountable...as if to say there are separations in WHICH "Hollywood" , actors can work in. I mean after all do we say that Martin Scorcese, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Ron Howard, etc... are a part of "White" Hollywood and moreover where does that leave the Will Smith's, Denzel Washington's and Samuel Jackson's of the world? I think titles like "Black" Hollywood are only in place to continue to segregate us and ensure that in a lot of ways we are never able to fully break in to mainstream.

Dont get me wrong..."Black Hollywood" has its perks...it allows America to see/hear our concerns, stories, actors, producers and directors...it gives our artists' exposure and our stories an audience so there is some good to it. But I decided to blog about this after hearing about Spike Lee's comments regarding the work of Tyler Perry...here they are if you missed them:

“Each artist should be allowed to pursue their artistic endeavors but I still think there is a lot of stuff out today that is “coonery” and buffoonery. I know it’s making a lot of money and breaking records, but we can do better. … I am a huge basketball fan, and when I watch the games on TNT, I see these two ads for these two shows (Tyler Perry’s “Meet the Browns” and “House of Payne”) and I am scratching my head. … We got a Black president and we going back to Mantan Moreland and Sleep ‘n’ Eat? As African Americans, we’re not one monolithic group so there is room for all of that.But at the same time, for me, the imaging is troubling and it harkens back to “Amos n’ Andy.”"


So when I read this I decided that a discussion needed to be opened up...I totally understand where Spike is coming from and I agree with a lot of what he is saying...as a fan of his work and the work of others like John Singleton and Gary F. Gray....I can understand his frurstration with the success that Perry has found with roles like Mr. Brown, Madea and Joe....however, I think there is something to be gained from what Perry has done to date. Spike Lee introduced America to the issues that were almost taboo at the time...interracial relationships, drug abuse, religion as a major role in our lives...he shed light on our heroes with Malcolm X and even just last year with Kobe's docushort during the season...and he always uses his "celebrity", power, etc... to shine light on issues...which he did magnificently with "When the Levees Broke"....and then there's Singleton ( who in my opinion walks a masterfully difficult line) who tells really dark stories of what we go through in our worst moments...on our worst days...


And now lets turn the lens towards Perry. His plays/films/tv shows depend totally on the boisterous, religious, "animated" side of the African American experience but to his defense...I have yet to see any of his productions end without a positive message and he has employed so many African American actors, crew members and casting directors. He uses his power to/money to advance projects like Precious which he is coproducing with Oprah...so what do we make of it all?! Could Spike and Tyler be arguing opposite sides of the same spectrum...I think they would both agree that our stories need to be told...how our stories are told is where they would butt heads and as an African American actress I am interested in being a part of stories that dont rely on selling gimmicks and as an African American woman the reliance on overweight, loud, obnoxious, bible slinging women rubs me the wrong way in many of Perry's works. Characters like Mr. Brown and Joe perpetuate a negative stereotype of Black men (that is probably rooted in Perry's abusive relationship with his father) that is not a part of many stories in the African American experience...where have we heard these arguments before?


I'll go out on a limb and say that some of the people who now support Perry's works may be direct descendants of those who complained that the "unrealistically happy Huxtables" did not represent a true version of African American life while many people...including myself...applaude Cosby's bravery and step towards forcing America to see us in a different light. True, not everyone's mother and father were a successful lawyer and doctor. No, the majority of us did not have Judith Jameson dancing in our living rooms or visits from Dizzy Gillespie but lots of us came from families that understood the importance of education (the infamous "I brought you in this world, I'll take you out" episode as a result of Theo's bad grades) and tried their darndest to express the importance of a strong familial unit...I guess the only way to fit some of everyone's experiences in...is to allow people from all different experience's to have the artistic freedom they need to express the things they've been through...

As usual I dont have the answers...just think the discussion is one that shouldnt go overlooked...Check out these 2 videos...Tyler Perry's 60 minutes interview and the trailer for a film that makes me excited about the future of Blacks IN Hollywood :)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home