Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Talented Ten





So as this decade comes to a close...I think it's time to shed some light on the ten people who have influenced me the most over this past decade...it was actually harder than I thought to narrow it down to just 10 people but here it is...

10.) Kenny Mitchell- Kenny was my teacher at the University of Minnesota- Guthrie Theatre BFA Actors Training Program. A little backstory about Kenny is that he was born with cerebral palsy and probably spent most of his life being looked at as in some way "retarded" or "incapable of being in this "regular" world"...BUT he wanted to be an actor...and was apparently a GREAT actor...but like so many other minorities...there are not a lot of roles written for "the handicapped"...and so I met him my freshmen year and I immediately fell in love with how much he gave and gave and gave to us students...all while taking care of his dying mother! When it comes to someone who is more than selfless...more than a teacher and more than a mentor...Kenny Mitchell is that person! I think the moment that defines him so clearly in my mind is that in my freshman year of college he directed a show called "Hot L Baltimore" which had a character in it that seemed to have a similar condition to Kenny's actual "disability" and I was so touched by his compassion for the process of his students that he would allow a student to portray something that he has dealt with his whole life...something that so many people have probably misunderstood...Kenny is a true personification of "no one cares how much you know until they know how much you care"...

9.) India Bradley- she's my little sister! hehe. She inspires me so much because I know she looks up to EVERY thing I do and say. She's my little shadow...right down to the clothes I wear and the music I listen to...thinking of her makes me check the way I carry myself and the decisions I make...and when I've felt like giving up...I always think of the look on her face every time she's seen me act...I can only imagine it when she sees me on a big screen.

8.) Delena Turman- I have known her my whole life! I think perhaps the reason why she inspires me so much is because she has this relentlessness when it comes to life and goals. She comes from a situation that most people would rely on for the whole life- her father is a famous actor with friends in high places-but she works SO hard. She has this zest for life and love and art that I have only known in few people. She wants to be a writer...she's wanted that as long as I've known her...and she's never given up on that dream...she can admit when she's unhappy...and when she's just doing what she has to do to get by...she's that person who can just walk into a room and make everyone believe that she owns the place...I love her...she's amazing and inspiring

7.) Jada Pinkett Smith- " I thought this was gonna be only people you know personally..." you thought wrong. lol. Why does Jada Pinkett Smith inspire me so much? Well when I look at her...I see all the things I want to be. A great actress, a loving wife and a wonderful mother...and so many times in my life I have heard people tell me that at some point I will have to choose....that doing all three will prove to be too daunting of a challenge...but she defies all those critics. Yes...she has not done A LOT of work since she became Mrs. Smith...but the QUALITY of her work has not decreased with the quantity...she shows that you can find a man who is committed to loving you , taking care of you and helping you to accomplish your dreams...and a man who is strong enough to be a father and a faithful husband. She's beautiful, strong and smart...and when I sometimes think I'm asking too much of God (which is totally ridiculous because we all know there is nothing to hard for God) or of myself...I remember that there is a woman who is doing it all...Jada Pinkett Smith :)

6.) Michael Jordan- anyone who knows me knows that I am a HUGE basketball fan...and one of my favorite athletes of all times is Michael Jordan...but I think what he stands for is something bigger than basketball...to me he shows endless possibilities when you love what you do...work hard...and are brave enough to take chances and leave your mark on this world. Jordan is easily one of the biggest celebrities this world has ever known! Shoes, clothes, movies, books, cologne...the list goes on and on. I have always said that I wanted to be the "Michael Jordan of acting"...the best who's ever done it...or die working at being the best...he showed greatness at its pinnacle...and what he did with BRANDING?! Ridiculous. His presence alone can bring tears to grown men's eyes...there are so many things to say about an icon like Jordan...he's inspired me in this last decade and he didnt even play for most of it...

5.) Lauryn Hill- The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. Enough said.

4.) Denzel Washington and Robert DeNiro- it's hard to choose between these two...their work has inspired me time and time again! These two play characters so intricately that it's awe inspiring...they BECOME....they don't act...they define TRUTH through their work. I have sat in many of theatres...or in many of living rooms...and have been brought to tears by their work...they are one of a kind actors with special, special ability...they have remained true to their passion and art...DeNiro pays tribute to his craft through the Tribeca Film Festival...Denzel launches young careers in his directorial pursuits...these two men inspire me to be a better artist.

3.) Marilyn McCormick- if you went to Cass Tech in Detroit...or have known me more than a few weeks...you've heard of MC...she's not just a teacher, mentor or director...she's a second mother to me...and is easily one of the biggest reasons I was accepted, attended and graduated from the Guthrie program in Minneapolis. Along with being a mother herself...she has mothered every single child who's come through one of the three programs she's ran at Cass Tech for the past 3 decades. She gives EVERYTHING to EVERY single one of us...I have no idea how she finds the time...she's at everyone's graduations...all over the States...she's sees shows...gives advice...gets people into college...and ALWAYS knows EXACTLY what to say...there will NEVER be another MC in my life...she has bought out her place in my heart forever!

2.) Judy Milner- you guessed it. She's my mom! There is SO much I can say about my mother. I have been with her through so many good and bad times in our lives. She's always there. Always knows what to say...for those who don't know...my mother was a professional dancer...and she gave up a lot to raise me to be the young woman I am today. I owe her so very much of my love and life...and she never makes me feel that way. She believes in me, prays for and with me...and she's been wonderful my entire life. In my eyes, she's the BEST mother in this entire world. I dont know where I would be without her...

So it's time for #1....you think I would give it to you that easy....#1 has inspired me beyond...BEYOND...he needs his very own post....and there are so many other people, actors, family and friends who've inspired me...but I have done a lot of blog posts about them all...with pictures and quotes and praise...

And to everyone who's been following my blog faithfully for the last few months...especially the 100+ fans on Facebook...thanks a lot :) I really appreciate it...here's to 2010!

Sincerely,

@bestnewactress

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home