Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I Want The Title?




I should have done this blog a long, long time ago but I didn't...this has nothing to do with anything going on in my life just something I've discussed with friends so many times:

"do titles in relationships still matter?"

I've heard many different answers to this question...some people say "the only title that matters is wife/husband" and others think "a title is a necessity because it establishes expectations" I've even heard "no titles matter because commitment doesn't mean what it used to mean"...what do I think?

I'd have to agree with the second quote...I think having a title helps to define what you expect from that person...if titles weren't important there'd be no need for the terms "doctor" or "lawyer" or "mother" or "father"...we'd all just be "people". Each one of the titles in that list tell you what to expect from the person you come in contact with...I mean I wouldn't go to the "doctor" for legal advise because that's not what his title suggests, right? And if you have no title at all, how am I to know what to ask of you? Title-less relationships say to me one or both of the people involved are not sure about how they feel and that needs to be resolved before the "relationship" goes ANY FURTHER. If you dont know what to introduce that person as...chances are you're not ready to have anything real...because when you are...a title won't feel like a burden...it will feel natural...you'll want the world to know that this person is yours...no question or room for doubt. Some people may say "well as long as it's define between me and the person I'm with, what does it matter to others?"...and I once again say...when it's the right person you'll want everyone to know for sure that he/she is yours...no excuses...no gimmicks...no secrets.

That's my shpill on "titles"...but keep the conversation going...if you're a woman who's somebody's "untitled" and you want more...speak up...if you're a man who's someone's "ummm yeah this is my...this is *insert name*" and you want to know the deal...ask her...

Just my thoughts ;)

Sincerely,
@bestnewactress

1 Comments:

Blogger Lovelyladyjb said...

LOVE this blog post. I have honestly been back and forth on this issue. I agree with you, if this person is against putting a label on the relationship it is most likely because they DON'T WANT TO!! Once you meet someone that you want to share with other people you will want to have something endearing to call them.

Boyfriend/Girlfriend is just the first step before Fiance and Husband/Wife. So what's the big deal!

December 2, 2009 at 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home